Tuesday 7 February 2012

Cake Day

Cold weather makes me hungry. The really cold weather appears to have arrived, even bringing with it a few hours of snow yesterday, and my thoughts turn to food....Warm satisfying carbs, the tangy thrill of umami-laden proteins and, my personal favourites, sticky-sweet desserts.

The production of main courses falls predominantly to him. He not only enjoys it, he is also very good at it. It's one of the (many) things I love about him. I, on the other hand am merely capable of cooking the work horse meals - a decent roast, a quick casserole, a nice salad. Nothing special. I don't really enjoy it and I am not inspired to try more than necessary. My food agenda is focused on the bit at the end of the meal. The sticky sweet. Chocolate and pastry, fruit and custard, anything with cream. I'm one of those people whose eyes stray to the dessert menu while I am still ordering a main course.


So, when I cook, I do desserts. Today was a day when I cooked. Inspired by one of my Christmas gifts - 'The Hummingbird Bakery - Cake Days' book. I can heartily recommend any of their creations but today I was making Chewy Monkey Bars! Mainly because I had most of the ingredients in the cupboard and a sweet tooth demanding satisfaction. I say 'most of the ingredients' because I rarely have all of the ingredients for anything....I like a good substitution late in the game!




Half an hour later (the joy of a no-cook recipe), I had a plate of chewy, crispy, sticky snacks. Heaven. I am sure that the wheel of health nutrition indicator would not make for good reading but the taste test confirmed  success and ignorance is bliss. At least they contain some healthful things like nuts. And rice. That's about it for the healthful ingredients actually! Anyway, a weeks worth of sweet treats.



No comments:

Post a Comment