Thursday 22 March 2012

Land of Confusion

I'm a bit of a closet Genesis fan, so this title came to mind as I was thinking about this post. The issue of land has been bothering me for a while. I would like some. I am well aware that we are lucky to have a house with a small garden and an allotment just five minutes away but I do crave more. I guess that's what happens when you discover any good thing.

Ted and (below) Monty enjoying my parents' lovely garden.
I very much enjoy gardening for aesthetic purposes - hanging baskets, nice flowers etc. I also find it surprisingly satisfying growing fruit and vegetables. I am very much at beginner level; even as we go into our fourth year on the plot, just a quick glance at other allotments bursting with veg and scarcely a weed to be seen, proves that we have a way to go. Still, I am enjoying the process of learning and it's lovely when you get to eat your successes!

In an ideal world, my wish would be to live on a larger plot of land where my veg plot and my pleasant garden could be combined and with space for dogs and babies to run, play and enjoy the summer months. I don't want a lot, a couple of acres would be more than enough and I am not looking for the kind of countryside perfection that features in lifestyle magazines. I grew up in the countryside, I know it's not perfect all the time. It gets muddy and wet and then your dogs get muddy and wet and then your sofa gets muddy and wet. Despite knowing this, I would still like my own bit of it.


It  does seem hard to come by without serious funds though. I have been perusing the property adverts in the local press, keeping an eye out for 'For Sale' signs as I drive through country lanes, and checking various websites for likely plots. No luck so far with this little project. I guess I must resign myself for now to beautifying my little back garden and taming my unruly allotment. The big 'to-do' on the list is going to take some time. But it is going to happen. There just may be a lot of smaller to-dos to sort out first. Like winning the lottery.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like a lovely dream place. It's exactly what mummy wants and I'd love too. Mummy was looking too and said the cheapest places seem to be in the middle of nowhere, I'd like to know where "nowhere" is coz I'd go live there, sounds nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The middle of nowhere sounds good to me too Fizz! And Monty and Ted would definitely like it:) Plenty of grass and trees and maybe a few bunny holes.....heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We live there :) but beautiful gardens look like battlefields when you have animals like goats :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm...I've heard that about goats! A naughty spaniel can be just as troublesome, he does love a nice muddy bunker!

    ReplyDelete