Thursday 19 January 2012

Baby Club

Thursday means one thing in my life at the moment - Baby Club. One of the things that prompted my recent focus on the to-do list is parenthood. In July last year, after a brief visit to the local hospital, I returned home with  a baby...I was slightly shocked that the midwives at said hospital believed me suitable, able and trustworthy enough to care for such a tiny, delicate scrap of a new human and some days I still wonder if they made a mistake. But there it is. A decision made in 2010 that we (me and him) were ready to create life resulted in an actual person being born in 2011! Still haven't got over that either. Anyway, I digress.

Having a baby meant total change for me. Self-employment had to stop, for the time being at least, since it wasn't the kind of employment that allows for caring for a small person and it didn't pay enough (and I didn't really want it to) for someone else to be paid to care for the small person. So, these days I am at home being a mummy and anyone who has done that will tell you that small trips out are a) a challenge and b) essential to maintain sanity. Which brings me back to Baby Club, my Thursday trip out. Actually it's a two minute walk up the road to the local Children's Centre. Baby Club is great (and, no, I am not about to break the first rule!). Two hours of gurgling, wriggling and playing surrounded by other people who also find gurgling, wriggling and playing interesting. The bonus is a tired baby so when I get home a nap is usually on the cards!

Today was no different. The small person engaged in all the activities on offer with enthusiasm - gurgling and rolling about on the floor being favourite with a brief pause for artwork in the middle. We returned home ready for lunch and a nap. While the small person devotes some time to studying the insides of her eyelids, I devote some time to thinking about the to-do list....slow progress so far. However, some thing important is afoot so hopefully some news soon. In the meantime, I'll stop for now and get on with the tidying which is also on the List.

No comments:

Post a Comment