Monday 16 January 2012

Here Goes Nothing

January....a month of cold weather, dark nights and nothing to look forward to since Christmas festivities are over and all the decent leftovers have been scoffed. Any leftovers that have not been scoffed obviously aren't that appetising so you have a cupboard/fridge containing items that you don't want but feel bad about throwing away. In my case, and please don't be too shocked, there resides at the back of the fridge a pot of brandy butter purchased in the post Christmas reductions in January 2007!! It is well travelled, having moved house with us in April 2007. Every so often, it has been opened and looked at closely to check for signs of decay....it has passed every inspection and has been triumphant in retaining it's title as 'Oldest Item in the Fridge'. So long has it been in the fridge, that I would not even contemplate moving it to the bin without having at least tried it...so we did. This Christmas (2011), it was ceremoniously opened and served to the visitors with their mince pies. Please be assured that no deception was undertaken and all who partook of the impressively long-lived butter were under no illusions as to it's age or provenance. "Tastes fine to me" was the pronouncement of my partner's father, the first to dip his toe in the metaphorical waters and give it a try. Well then, if tastes ok to him (and he's clearly not died some instant and horrifying death and has all his faculties intact) why not? And so, most of the dangerously vintage butter was consumed along with mince pies and Christmas pudding.....but still, even after this triumph over the forces of common sense, there are now leftovers of the leftover.

So how does this adventure in food safety spawn a blog about bears? Well, it made me think about the other things I had been putting off in recent times that were probably far less risky than eating five year old festive butter. Knowing myself quite well, I recognise that I am someone who will willingly and unfailingly put off 'til tomorrow anything that does not have to be done today, in fact if possible, I'll put things off 'til....well, as long as I can really. So a blog is my solution. A record of my progress in achieving (or more likely not but trying is half the point of anything, surely) the things I have been putting off doing and hopefully adding more 'to-dos' along the way. I will make the writing of the To Do List tomorrow's to-do (see how the blog is helping already?!).

Oh, and what about the bears? Well, maybe I'll explain that tomorrow as well.

Nicky (aka MummyBear)

No comments:

Post a Comment